- Operating a converter under controlled conditions for a predetermined time in order to screen out failures.
- OTP: Over Temperature Protection
- A protection system for converters where the converter shuts down if the ambient temperature exceeds the converters ratings. OTP is intended to save the converter and any downstream equipment in the event of a catastrophic failure of a fan or such. OTP usually measures the hottest item on board the converter rather than ambient temperature.
- Open Frame
- A type of power supply which is not encased in a metal or plastic shell or frame and subsequently is not covered with a potting compound. Open Frame converters are easily identified as their component parts are visible.
- Open-Circuit Voltage
- See No Load Voltage
- Operating Temperature Range
- Range of temperatures over which a converter can be operated safely within specified limits. Normally specified as ambient, however, at times case or base plate temperature are also used.
- Output Current Limiting
- An output protection feature which limits the output current to a predetermined value in order to prevent damage to power supply or the load under overload conditions. The supply is automatically restored to normal operation following removal of the over load.
- Output Impedence of a power supply
- At any given frequency of load change, EOUT /1OUT. Strictly speaking the definition applies only for a sinusoidal load disturbance, unless, of course, the measurement is made at zero frequency (DC). The output impedance of an ideal constant voltage power supply would be zero at all frequencies, while the output impedance for an ideal constant current power supply would be infinite at all frequencies.
- Output Voltage
- Value of DC voltage measured at the output terminal of a converter.
- Output Voltage Accuracy
- Maximum allowable deviation of the DC output of a converter from its ideal or nominal value. Expressed as a percentage of output value. Often called output voltage tolerance.
- Output Voltage Range
- Minimum and maximum output voltage limits within which a converter meets its operating specifications.
- Overload Protection
- An output protection feature which limits the output current of a power supply under overload conditions so that it will not be damaged.
- Transient change in output voltage that exceeds specified accuracy limits. Typically occurs on converter turn on/off or with a step change in output load or input line.
- Overvoltage Protection (OVP)
- Output monitoring circuit activated if a preset voltage level is exceeded. Depending on the type of circuit used, the OVP shuts the converter down, “crowbars” the faulty output or switches the converter to a different operating mode.
comments powered by Disqus
Absolute Maximum Ratings Adaptor Aging Ambient Temperature Auto-Parallel or automatic parallel Auto-Series or automatic series operation Base Plate Temperature Basic Insulation Battery Backup Breakdown Voltage Burn-in CB-Scheme CFM Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Case Case Temperature Common Common Mode Noise Conducted EMI Conduction Cooled Constant Current Power Supply Constant Voltage Power Supply Constant Voltage/Constant Current (CV/CC) with automatic crossover Constant Voltage/Current Limiting (CV/CL) with automatic crossover Convection Cooled Cross Regulation Crowbar Current Limit Knee Current Limiting Derating Dielectric Dielectric Withstand Voltage Differential Mode Noise Drift Dynamic Load Dynamic Response EMI Filter Efficiency Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Electrostatic Shield Enclosure Equivalent Series Inductance(ESL) Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) Failure Mode Faraday Shield Fault Mode Current Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Floating Output Foldback Current Limiting Forced Air Cooling Free Convection Front End Full Load Ground Ground Loop Heat Sink Hi-Pot Test High Line Hold-Up Time Hot Plug-In Input Current Input Line Filter Input Surge Current Input Transient Input Voltage Range Inrush Current Inrush Current Limiting Insulation Insulation Resistance Internal Power Dissipation International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Isolation Isolation Voltage Leakage Current Life Test Line Regulation of a constant current power supply Line Regulation of a constant voltage power supply Linear Regulation Load Load Decoupling Load Regulation of a Constant Current Power Supply Load Regulation of a Constant Voltage Power Supply Local Sensing Logic Inhibit/Enable Long Term Stability Low Line Master/Slave Operation Maximum Load Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) Minimum Load Minimum Operating Temperature N+1 Redundancy No Load Voltage Noise Nominal Value OTP: Over Temperature Protection Open Frame Open-Circuit Voltage Operating Temperature Range Output Current Limiting Output Impedence of a power supply Output Voltage Output Voltage Accuracy Output Voltage Range Overload Protection Overshoot Overvoltage Protection (OVP) Parallel Operation Periodic and Random Deviation (PARD) Pi Filter Polarity Post Regulation Power Density Power Factor Correction (PFC) Power Good Power Rating Pre-Regulation Primary Circuit Programmable Power Supply Radiated EMI Rated Output Current Redundant Operation Reference Reflected Ripple Current Regulation Remote Error Sensing or Remote Sensing Remote Programming Remote Programming Speed Remote Shutdown Resolution Return Reverse Voltage Protection Ripple and Noise SMBus Secondary Circuit Sense Line Series Operation Series Regulator Short Circuit Protection Shunt Regulator Six-Sided Shielding Soft Start Split Bobbin Winding Stability Standby Current Step Change Storage Temperature Range Technischer Uberwachungs-Verein (TUV) Temperature Coefficient Temperature Range Thermal Conductivity Thermal Gasket Thermal Joint Compound Thermal Protection Thermal Resistance Thermal Resistivity Thermal Shutdown Three-Terminal Regulator Topology Tracking Transient Transient Recovery Time Under Voltage Lock Out (UVLO) Undershoot Underwriters Laboratories (UL) UninterruptiblePower Supply (UPS) Verband Deutsher Elektrotechniker (VDE) Voltage Balance Warmup Drift Warmup Time Withstand Voltage