- Inrush Current
- Maximum, instantaneous input current drawn by a converter turn on. Also called input Surge Current.
- Parallel Operation
- Operating mode in which two or more power supplies are connected in parallel. The output currents are summed together in a single load, providing a higher level of output power then that available from a single unit. Parallel operation requires models specifically designed to share loads.
- Periodic and Random Deviation (PARD)
- Noise and ripple voltage superimposed on a converter’s DC output. Typically specified at full load, it is expressed in peak-to-peak or RMS volts over a given bandwidth.
- Pi Filter
- Input filter consisting of two capacitors connected in parallel with a series inductance. Often used in converters to reduce input reflected ripple current.
- Ability of a converter to produce
an output that is positive or negative
referenced to ground. See Floating Output
- Post Regulation
- Output circuit that uses linear regulator to improve line/load regulation and reduce ripple and noise. Post regulation adds expense and degrades converter supply efficiency.
- Power Density
- Ratio of converter output power to converter volume.
- Power Factor Correction (PFC)
- Design technique usually applied to the input of converters that improves the converter’s power factor and minimizes harmonies generated by the converter onto the AC power line.
- Power Good
- Signal (typically a visible LED) that indicates the DC output of the primary channel of a converter is still present.
- Power Rating
- Specified power available at the converter output pins.
- The regulation at the front end of a power supply, generally by a type of switching regulator, this is followed by output regulation, usually by a linear type regulator.
- Primary Circuit
- Input side of an isolated converter.
- Programmable Power Supply
- A power supply with an output controlled by an external resistor, voltage or digital code.
comments powered by Disqus
Absolute Maximum Ratings Adaptor Aging Ambient Temperature Auto-Parallel or automatic parallel Auto-Series or automatic series operation Base Plate Temperature Basic Insulation Battery Backup Breakdown Voltage Burn-in CB-Scheme CFM Canadian Standards Association (CSA) Case Case Temperature Common Common Mode Noise Conducted EMI Conduction Cooled Constant Current Power Supply Constant Voltage Power Supply Constant Voltage/Constant Current (CV/CC) with automatic crossover Constant Voltage/Current Limiting (CV/CL) with automatic crossover Convection Cooled Cross Regulation Crowbar Current Limit Knee Current Limiting Derating Dielectric Dielectric Withstand Voltage Differential Mode Noise Drift Dynamic Load Dynamic Response EMI Filter Efficiency Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) Electrostatic Discharge (ESD) Electrostatic Shield Enclosure Equivalent Series Inductance(ESL) Equivalent Series Resistance (ESR) Failure Mode Faraday Shield Fault Mode Current Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Floating Output Foldback Current Limiting Forced Air Cooling Free Convection Front End Full Load Ground Ground Loop Heat Sink Hi-Pot Test High Line Hold-Up Time Hot Plug-In Input Current Input Line Filter Input Surge Current Input Transient Input Voltage Range Inrush Current Inrush Current Limiting Insulation Insulation Resistance Internal Power Dissipation International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) Isolation Isolation Voltage Leakage Current Life Test Line Regulation of a constant current power supply Line Regulation of a constant voltage power supply Linear Regulation Load Load Decoupling Load Regulation of a Constant Current Power Supply Load Regulation of a Constant Voltage Power Supply Local Sensing Logic Inhibit/Enable Long Term Stability Low Line Master/Slave Operation Maximum Load Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) Minimum Load Minimum Operating Temperature N+1 Redundancy No Load Voltage Noise Nominal Value OTP: Over Temperature Protection Open Frame Open-Circuit Voltage Operating Temperature Range Output Current Limiting Output Impedence of a power supply Output Voltage Output Voltage Accuracy Output Voltage Range Overload Protection Overshoot Overvoltage Protection (OVP) Parallel Operation Periodic and Random Deviation (PARD) Pi Filter Polarity Post Regulation Power Density Power Factor Correction (PFC) Power Good Power Rating Pre-Regulation Primary Circuit Programmable Power Supply Radiated EMI Rated Output Current Redundant Operation Reference Reflected Ripple Current Regulation Remote Error Sensing or Remote Sensing Remote Programming Remote Programming Speed Remote Shutdown Resolution Return Reverse Voltage Protection Ripple and Noise SMBus Secondary Circuit Sense Line Series Operation Series Regulator Short Circuit Protection Shunt Regulator Six-Sided Shielding Soft Start Split Bobbin Winding Stability Standby Current Step Change Storage Temperature Range Technischer Uberwachungs-Verein (TUV) Temperature Coefficient Temperature Range Thermal Conductivity Thermal Gasket Thermal Joint Compound Thermal Protection Thermal Resistance Thermal Resistivity Thermal Shutdown Three-Terminal Regulator Topology Tracking Transient Transient Recovery Time Under Voltage Lock Out (UVLO) Undershoot Underwriters Laboratories (UL) UninterruptiblePower Supply (UPS) Verband Deutsher Elektrotechniker (VDE) Voltage Balance Warmup Drift Warmup Time Withstand Voltage